Imagine being charged with a crime and not knowing what to do next. Do you hire a lawyer, attempt to work with the state, or ask around and hope to get to the advice? Obviously, working with prosecutors isn’t the best idea, especially if you’re innocent. Even if you guilty, the best thing you can do is hire a skilled criminal defense lawyer with experience defending people accused of crimes similar to the one of which you were charged.
But which lawyer do you hire?
Do you hire the best criminal defense lawyer in town because that’s how they are advertised, or do you try to find the cheapest lawyer you can find?
Well, freedom isn’t free.
So if you want to avoid jail or give yourself the best opportunity to defend yourself from what will be a relentless prosecution by the state of Texas, it’s best to seek out and hire the best law firm for criminal cases that you can find. But what are the qualities you should look for in a top lawyer? This is the question we will be attempting to answer throughout the entirety of this article.
They’re Great At Communication
The Good Criminal Lawyers Don’t Have Estranged Clients
The last thing you want to do is pay a criminal defense lawyer a five to $10,000 retainer fee, only to engage with their secretary 90% of the time. While the other 10% of the time you’re working with some snotty-nosed associate lawyer that probably can’t find himself out of a paper bag.
The best quality to look for when seeking out a lawyer who could be considered the best in their field is a prioritization of communication. You have to know what’s going on with your case. Your lawyer needs to be available to you to give you advice. If you having trouble communicating with a lawyer, then you will have fear based on the neglect of your lawyer because you’re in a life or death situation and don’t know what’s going on.
Poor communication is not a professional trade of a good lawyer. If you meet with a lawyer, don’t retain them immediately. Call them back later that day, and maybe once or twice the next day to see if you can get in contact with them. If you can reach your potential lawyer with a low level of difficulty, then it’s safe to say that they have a keen sense of client care.
Their Top Priority: Client Care
Great Defense Attorneys Care About Good Results for Their Clients
When you settle on hiring the best lawyer for your case, you’ve made the decision on whose hands to put your case is. Depending on the severity of the crime you’ve been charged with, your life could be in the hands. The best Houston criminal attorneys keep their clients informed about the developments in their case. This includes going over numerous legal strategies that could be effective in their defense and the truth about whether they believe they can get the case dismissed or earn a not guilty verdict at trial.
Client care means more than just answering the phone; it means doing the absolute best job you can to keep a person free.
Another Great Trait: Education
Excellent Criminal Lawyers Know The Law!
Let’s be frank; no one can know every line of the law written in every state’s Penal Code or even in the Texas Penal Code. What I mean when I say that the great criminal lawyers know the law is that they are aware of changes in the law, have a great general knowledge of the law and their area of practice. They demonstrate excellent tact when implementing their understanding of the law for the benefit of their clients and the general public. This is what I mean when I say, “know the law.”